Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What would cause a car to not change gears properly?

My car is not changing gears properly and I just had my transmission screen and fluids changed. What could it be? I am a poor college student I don't have a lot of money.
What would cause a car to not change gears properly?
You wont believe this, because automatic transmissions use a detent cable attached to your accelerator ,, a clogged fuel filter can cause an irregular shift pattern and shifting problems,, just to be on the safe side replace it ,, it probably needs replacing anyway !!!!!
What would cause a car to not change gears properly?
If automatic, it could be the filter is clogged.
maybe....the driver! (just kidding) sorry....don't know the answer.
low on transmission fluid?

maybe the shop didnt tighten something all the way?





the tranny could just be on its way out.
unfortunately it sounds like you need a new clutch plate, which depending on what car you drive could cost more to fit than it will actually cost for the clutch plate!
Timing is not adjusted properly, if it is a manual trans then it could be the clutch or slave cylinder .
Don't know about Chevy Malibu but I had the same problem with my '99 Taurus, and it turned out to be the transmission shift sensor. The cost for the repair was about $200.00 including labour.