Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is it true on a brand new car you should change the oil at 1,000 miles?

I have read that you should change the oil at 1,000 miles on a new car because when the engine's breaking in it tends to deposit particles from the break-in into the oil. Is this true?
Is it true on a brand new car you should change the oil at 1,000 miles?
Oils have improved so much over the past 10yrs, I would recommend doing it at the mfg. period.. Any earlier is generally a waste of money!! If you plan on keeping a car/truck for 200-300 thousand miles w/out a rebuild then go for it.. But in 15 yrs in auto parts I've never seen an engine fail due to OIL.. Nowaday's it the timing belt..
Is it true on a brand new car you should change the oil at 1,000 miles?
you won't find any manufacturer recommending it, but on a personal note I would...that way you have the brand of oil AND the brand of oil filter you prefer right from the start...



It really is a personal thing, but many of us mechanical types are like that :-)
It's not a requirement but I do. Imagine how much garbage some bum at a ford assembley line may leave behind, and even though I don't drive a ford, I still find it reasonable to change oil after about first thousand miles.
When I put a new crate motor in my Chevrolet 3500 HD, they changed the oil at 500 miles the first time.
It used to be that manufacturers used a special break-in oil that needed to be replaced at 500 miles. Today, you won't see any mention about it in your owner's manual - it will say change at 3000/7500 depending upon driving conditions, but I would highly recommend changing at 500 miles. Put in a conventional oil, then change again at 3000 miles with a fully synthetic.
  • web hosting providers
  • bacne treatment advise
  •