Thursday, October 6, 2011

If I don't drive my car for about 3 months, do I really need to change to oil?

Well I am going out of country for business for about 2 - 3 months. I am going to leave my car in my garage. My question is that do I really need to change my car's oil when I get back? Please help!!! Thanks.
If I don't drive my car for about 3 months, do I really need to change to oil?
no do it 6 months. 3 months is too early but I would not let it sit more than 6 months without changing the oil in it.
If I don't drive my car for about 3 months, do I really need to change to oil?
i would check this out



http://www.ehow.com/how_14375_prepare-ca鈥?/a>



and yes change your oil WHEN you get back......
You will be fine to leave it. You might want to have someone start it up once every few weeks. I would worry about the gas. Either run it till it is almost gone, of put a fuel stabilizer into the gas.
I'd say no unless it already was time for a change anyway.

The shelf life of oil will out last that time frame.



the whole %26quot;three months%26quot; is for people who don't watch their mileage
Not necessarily, especially if you use synthetic or a synthetic blend.



You might want to consider having someone take it for a spin every once in a while to keep it from sitting the whole time though.
No. it only needs to be changed if you are putting miles on it, and sitting is not putting any miles on it, you should change oil every 3000 miles on average.
i cant see why you need to change the oil, if your going to be gone for just a couple of months, it will be fine.
3 months is no problem. each 6 months to a year is a good idea tho.

sitting for 6 months is worse than driving for 3000 miles because all the oil is drained off the parts and water condesation is causing corrosion to form.