Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I am in Canada on a work permit. Do I need to change my car registration?

I am in Canada on a work permit. I will be taking my car back to the US when i leave; do i need to register it in Canada or can i leave it on US plates? Transport Canada's website says that work permit holders do not need to have cars inspected but I am wondering if there are differing provincial rules?
I am in Canada on a work permit. Do I need to change my car registration?
I just looked at the website I rely upon for most of the answers.



Ontario has a reciprocal agreement with the State of New York and the State of Michigan. This allows these States to exchange information on each other's drivers and if the driver is convicted in the other area of jurisdiction, the demerit points or the penalty can be execised by the other jurisdiction where the driver is licensed.



I just looked at the website and it states that if you are from another country visiting Ontario for more than 3 months, you need an International Driver's permit from your own country. You must ensure that your automobile insurance coverage is sufficient and that you carry the original or a true copy of the Vehicle Registration or Certificate of Title for your vehicle.
I am in Canada on a work permit. Do I need to change my car registration?
It depends on what on what province you are currently in. Vehicle registration is a provincial jurisdiction, not a federal one. The website you were looking at just gave you information about the federal requirements to import a vehicle into Canada, but Transport Canada has no say in how a vehicle is registered into a province. Look at the website of your provincial Ministry of Transportation to find out what is required of you.