Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do I have to change my car insurance to reflect new state as soon as I move there?

Moving to Washington State from New York State on June 18. My current insurance runs out June 30th. I am sure they will ask me to renew before June. Should I tell them about move now or wait until July and then change insurance etc?
Do I have to change my car insurance to reflect new state as soon as I move there?
This site (http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/car-ins鈥?/a> will tell you all about getting insured in WA. All sorts of info about moving to Washington.
Do I have to change my car insurance to reflect new state as soon as I move there?
You better tell them when you move. Some companies don't do business in every state, and you might have to get new coverage from somebody else.
you had better get it all set up before hand or atleast within a 3 days at most of moving . insurance companies dont want to pay out and will use any reason not to pay out . this seems like one reason they would use not to pay out if you had an accident.
you generally have 30 days grace period after establishing residence in a new state. Establihing residence genrally means getting a drivers lisence or a voter ID in the new state..
You should tell them, because the states are so dissimilar, I would suspect your Washington State rates would be much lower, depending on where you live in New York state, and where you are moving to in Washington State.
I would tell your agent in new york and if the company also writes in Washington it will be no problem. He will just put in a change of address and probably assign to a new agent. If they dont write there they will probably send you a non renewal notice well in advance.. Hopefully they write in both states and are a big company that handles it correctly.