Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Do I have to change my car plate when I move from CA to OR?

I moved from Cali to Oregon last August but I still have Cali plate and license do I have to change them? Is there any fees if I am late?
Do I have to change my car plate when I move from CA to OR?
Like everyone else said, yes there are fees, but take this into consideration. The DMV is so backed up that they are never going to know exactly when you moved. So just provide a move date at the Oregon DMV that is within the time frame required to avoid penalties.



Some may say this is wrong, but I say what is truly wrong are the expensive outrageous penalties states charge (at least that's how I justify it to myself ;) )



http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/new2or/mo鈥?/a>



Check out this site for accurate info on what the specific time frame is or just call the DMV.
Do I have to change my car plate when I move from CA to OR?
Yes u do have to change ur plate unless ur a out of state student or living in Oregon seasonal. There isn't a late fee but there probably a fee to change your license %26amp; plates.
I would be willing to bet that Oregon requires you to register your car in that state within a certain time frame. It has been the case in every state where I have lived. Usually that time frame is something quite short, like within 10 days or 2 weeks. You may have to pay a fine if you are substantially late in registering the car, and you may also have to pay property taxes on the vehicle in addition to the registration fees.



I recommend calling the local DMV office to be sure.
You should have changed them during the first 30 days in Oregon. No late fees, only a potential citation. Transfer them now !