Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do i change a car title from my dad to myself?

My dad resides in CT and I reside in NY, hes trying to change over to me. what kind of forms would we have to fill out? and from where could we get a hold of these forms. and which DMV does it have to be submitted with? NY DMV? or CT DMV?
How do i change a car title from my dad to myself?
In Calif, (and the NY rules are probably similar) you take your car to your local (in your case NY) DMV or AAA Auto Club. An out of state car must be inspected for VIN#, safety and emission lables and odometer disclosure. This is a FAMILY Transfer, so you are exempt from the USE TAX and transfer smog. You will be asked what the value of the car is...get that from Kelly Blue Book. It should be done within 20 days of car entering NY.

You need the signed Title, car and cash or check.



You deal with NY DMV. Because your car needs NY plates now.



Your Dad needs to do a Release of Liability with the CT DMV.



Check this website for NY rules.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us

You are doing an %26quot;Out of State%26quot; transfer and it's a %26quot;family transfer.%26quot;
How do i change a car title from my dad to myself?
He needs to sign the title as seller in front of a notary public, and mail it to you along with a bill of sale that he is (giving/selling) you the car. If it's a sale, an amount of sale.



You then take it to the proper agency in CT and it gets changed into your name.