Monday, September 19, 2011

Would u buy a used car if the owner only change oil once a year?

BMW's free maintennce program only change your oil/filter once a year, most people recommand you change your car's oil/filter every 3000 miles, so is it wise to buy a used BMW? (assume the previous owner only use the free maintenance program)
Would u buy a used car if the owner only change oil once a year?
no way,,your suposed to change every 3,000 miles
Would u buy a used car if the owner only change oil once a year?
It depends. The 3000 mile oil change interval was invented by hack shops like Jiffy Lube in order to drum up more business. I don't know of any car company that actually reccomends this interval. My old Honda reccomended changing the oil every 7500 miles with conventional oil. BMWs use synthetic oil which lasts a lot longer. BMW actually changes the oil based on mileage, not on time. I think it is something like 15000 miles. I now drive a BMW and change the oil about every 10000 miles. I think that 15000 miles is too long to wait for an oil change, but if the car is fairly new and in good shape then it should be fine. Since cars haev less wear when they are newer you can probably get away with less frequent oil changes for a few years. Just make sure that if you do buy the car use good oil and change it a little more regularly.
There has been great improvement in oil.Synthetic

changes are apprx.10,000.the avg of a driver in one year.The answer about the beamer is how many miles in between that yearly service.And remember BMW make an outstanding automobile
I agree with Ronnie Wrench and further that answer too.

Jiffy Lube and those shops do not always do what they are supose to do. Also Wal Mart lubes are not always done.

I went to them once and they short sticked me about 2 quarts.

So if you go there check you oil before you leave the place. Alsao read the small print at the bottom of the receipt the part where you sign. it says that they are not responsible for any damage to your engine.
The recommendations of oil change interval is based on driving conditions. Ideal conditions are the ones with the longest interval. I do not know what ideal is. Next is the severe and this is the more frequent change. Normal driving of stop and go with a little freeway is very tough on oils synthetic or not. The best thing to do to ensure long engine life is to change based on a mileage not based on time. I have always used mobil one oil with a premium filter and change every 2,000 to 2500 miles and my camry engine has 227K on it and it runs great. No way would I buy a car with that low a change frequency on it like the BMW. Down the road a bit you could have oil burning problems that now are not apparent.
As stated in the other answers, it really depends on the type of driving you do. I change my own oil/filter, and after much research, I only use synthetic oil. I change Evey 10,000 miles and have done so for the last 7 years. I have over 100,000 miles on two cars with no problems. It is a waste of money to change oil every three thousand miles unless you are driving under extreme conditions. This is just hype by the merchants to make money. Unfortunately many people believer this is necessary.



Do some research on the the web about synthetic oil and you won't believe how superior they are to conventional oil.



I was concerned when I first started using synthetics but use all synthetic fluids in my autos.



GM is also going to 10,000 mile oil changes using synthetics.