Monday, September 19, 2011

Do I have to change my car's VIN number if I change the color of the car? What changes do I have to complete?

I'm thinking of coloring a silver car something a little more stylish like blue, red, or black. What are the legal changes that I will have to make.. like VIN number, and insurance companies, title?
Do I have to change my car's VIN number if I change the color of the car? What changes do I have to complete?
You may have to change the notation on the registration form that indicates the color of the vehicle. The VIN never changes. The insurance company doesn't care what color the car is.
Do I have to change my car's VIN number if I change the color of the car? What changes do I have to complete?
no changes to paperwork for DMV, insurance, or anyone else, nothing. just paint.
NO!
Your VIN never changes. You'll have to inform the state of the new colour so they can reflect it on your ownership papers, unless you're just changing shades of the same colour.
You never change the VIN number period.

Some states have the color of your car on their registration file- just for identification if for some reason they are looking for it. At most you should check with your DMV, and see if they have any record of the color. If so, then simply notify them of the change. Some states don't. It's only a phone call to find out.

Insurance is all about the car- doesn't matter what color it is.
All you would have to change is the paint nothing else.
No matter what you do to the car the VIN number stays the same. It is like a person's Social Security Number.