Monday, September 19, 2011

Is it really necessary to get oil-change in car done every 3000 miles, esp. when I commute 140 miles daily?

I commute 140 miles daily and going by this equation, I have to get oil-changed in my car every month! This is expensive for me! Is it really necessary to do so? Any experienced person (or a mechanic) out there - please help !

Thanks
Is it really necessary to get oil-change in car done every 3000 miles, esp. when I commute 140 miles daily?
with the miles you drive and probably the type of freeway driving you do I wouldn't be afraid to go 5,000 miles between oil changes, todays oils don't start breaking down until 5,000 miles, garages and dealers recommend 3,000 mile oil changes but there always trying to drum up business.
Is it really necessary to get oil-change in car done every 3000 miles, esp. when I commute 140 miles daily?
yes oil will break down
If you're not driving a diesel fueled car, you can easily go 5000 miles with today's modern motor oils. Especially when you're driving so far each day.



Using a high-quality synthetic oil, you may stretch that a little farther, maybe 6000 miles. ALWAYS change the filter too.



If you drive a diesel, I wouln't go more than 4000-4500.


Are you driving mostly Highway miles? And is your motor oil synthetic?

If Highway miles only and not stop and go traffic or service type work you could go every 5k or so, but I would keep an eye on the dip stick. Also, If you have a warranty keep motor oil changed. And if you have a small motor, like a 4 cylinder you might also keep changing motor oil you don't have to change oil filter every time also, only every other time, that's my rule, but I got a V8, highway miles only, and it synthetic blend oil. Ford motor craft preferred oil 5w/20.

Good luck, But always remember pay now or pay later.

Look at your service manual in your car for schedules and tune ups.
Most manufacturers recommend changing the oil every 7,000 to 7,500 miles. This is also wrong. I went to school for this and if you will have the oil changed every 4,000 to 5,000 miles, that will do.
Every month i would say is a bit excessive, i normally go every 5,000 miles .It also depends on if its highway or stop and go traffic either way you can periodically check the color of your oil after 3000 if you choose. If its a dark black color like coffee i would change.If the car is under warrenty keep the same type of oil, Ford and other manufactures use 5w20 because it is a thin oil and it helps get slightly better fuel economy.