Monday, September 19, 2011

What do i do if i change the color of my car?

Do i have to re-register, go to my insurance and change the car color there... i don't know?
What do i do if i change the color of my car?
I'm thinking that If your stopped by the police and your registration has say, white, Dodge,etc and the car Is now Black, there could be a problem. What you do is go to your Body shop where you had the vehicle painted, get a notarized statement to the effect of the change of color. Now take your registration as well as the vehicle title(If you have it, your state may be a state that sends title to the finance company) to your department of Motor vehicles and fill out a new title registration form and submit for the change. I don't know what state your in so I couldn't give you a ballpark figure. But here In NY It would be as follows. 1) Duplicate registration $3.00 2) duplicate Title $50.00. Make sure you bring your drivers license and proof of insurance. Of course If you don't care about any consequences that may befall you Then I would do nothing. Then again, if you wish to sell the car then that is a completely different story. Good luck
What do i do if i change the color of my car?
The dmv at lawrenceville, nj took my registration renewal form(pre-completed) that they mailed me, I told them about the color change at the counter, they changed it, no questions asked. They said no need to change color on title or insurance as well. I agree, cops dont ask for title.

Report Abuse


You don't have to do anything. Insurance companies only keep VIN numbers not colors.
no but you have to go to the dmv to change your title the color so if you get pulled over you dont have any problems with cops..
As your question appears on the UK and Ireland section, answers from US aren't much help.

Your insurance company aren't interested in the colour of your car but you have to notify the DVLA . The notes on the reverse of the V5 Registration Document tell you what to do