Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I change who a car is registered to?

Basically I am getting my parent's old car and I need to change it to be registered in my name for insurance purposes.



How do I do this? I can't find information on the DVLA website anywhere. Please help!
How do I change who a car is registered to?
Have your parents sign off the title and take the title to the DVLA and register it in your name
How do I change who a car is registered to?
there is a part on their exisitng car registration document that your parents should fill in and send in to the DVLA



http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles.aspx



it would be classed as them selling their old car to you



you will the recieve a new document in the post
On the registration document, fill in your details, ticking the new keeper box and the date of sale/transfer, your mum/dad signs the bottom (seller) and you sign the bottom is well (buyer). Then send it off to

DVLA

Swansea

(Post Code is on the back of which to use).



Before you send it off, tear off the green slip - V5C/2 and fill in your details and keep this until the new registration document comes back in your name.
There is a part which you parent has to fill in as you the new owner,that has to be send to the DLV