Friday, June 3, 2011

How often do you need to change your car tires?

I have been using Dunlop Ultra-high performance tires on my car for about 40 thousand miles, but recently i feel like the tread on the tires isn%26#039;t as strong as it used to be. How often you guys change your car tires?|||It depends on which model of tire you have. Most likely you have a 40,000 mile tire, and its abput time to change them. there are wear indicators built into the tread of your car, they will show up as solid %26quot;lines%26quot; across the width of your tire. You can also use a penny. Place the penny with the top of Lincoln;s head upside down, if you can see the top of his head, they are due to be changed. I have Dunlop Signatures on my Neon, and they are 75,000 mile tires, and they cost a little over 75 bucks a piece. Not bad considering the mileage and the handling.|||Take a penny and turn it upside down. Stick it into the groove in your tire tread. If it%26#039;s below (technically above since it%26#039;s inverted) Lincoln%26#039;s head then the tread is pretty much dead.|||Tires have wear indicators built in. If the tread gets down to the bars that cross the tire, its time to replace it. Or check for pocket change and use the penny trick. If you see bulges or metal sticking out from the edges of the tire, then its past time to replace it!|||Take a penny and hold it with Lincoln facing you. Put the penny in the tire treads upside down. If you can see all of Lincoln%26#039;s head, you need new tires.





This is a way to check the tread depth.|||A good indication of tire replacement is tread wear. If tread wear is 1-2mm it%26#039;s time to change the tire.|||When theres uneven wear or thin treads.|||Check them with a penny and if lincolns head is above the tread time for new tires.|||Don%26#039;t do the penny test, it is not always right!





I replace my tires every 2 years or so. Even if you buy tires with a 80,000 mile warranty, you probably won%26#039;t get 80,000 miles out of them. When you notice a change in the way your vehicle is driving, then it is a good idea to start saving up beacuse you need new tires. I bought (and I will never do this again) General AmeriG4s. I think they had something like a 50,000 mile warranty, but after a year, they were junk. I was hydroplaning whenever it was raining out, I couldn%26#039;t take curves as fast, and I was sliding all over the road. They still had at least 50% of the tread left, but the tires just melted to the road when it was hot. I saved up and bought the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. So far, I love them! I also just rotated them today and I compared the front to back and they are identical. There is no visible wear and I am a pretty spirited driver...if you know what I mean! They handled great in the winter, handle awesome on wet or dry pavement, and they look pretty bad a**.





Check out this site for great prices on new tires...





www.tirerack.com





I bought the tires here, and took them to my mechanic and he put them on my rims. It was still cheaper to do it that way rather than to buy the tires from him. I got the tires for $84 a tire and he wanted to charge me $130 before he would have even marked them up! Definately check out this site.|||look for the wear bars. these are the little bars that go across the low spots in the tread. if they are even with the tread, it%26#039;s time to hit the tire shop. on high performance tires, 40k seems like about time to buy some replacements.|||Depends, I get 30-36,000 from my ultra high tires, I%26#039;ve tried BF Goodrich, Goodyear Eagle, Falken FK451. Even with proper air pressure and rotating they never seem to wear exactly evenly. So, I change all 4 whenever the tread is completely worn down in one spot like on one side, or if the tread is worn way down and rainy season is approaching, tread is very important in wet weather and new tires grip so much better on wet roads. Also, if the steering wheel is shaky or the tires just don%26#039;t feel right, I change them. 40,000 miles is actually quite good for ultra high tires.|||take your vehicle to a service center and have the tires checked to see if they will pass inspection, they usually take a penny and stick it between the grooves and if the tread doesn%26#039;t stick up and touch Lincoln%26#039;s%26#039; head then it is time for new tires|||when they start to get flat|||Change when the threads are less than 2 mm ( 1/12 inch) deep or if they are more than 6 years old.