Friday, June 3, 2011

Do I have to change my car license plate, car registration when I move to another state?

just moved to North Carolina from California. I need to renew my car registration soon, can I do it through California or do I have to renew it through North Carolina? Also, do I have to change my license plate to North Carolina eventually?|||If you intend to stay and live in N.C. you will have to change your registration and title and license plates. If you are only going to be in N.C. for a short time there may be something that will allow you to keep your old stuff until you go back. You would need to contact the local DMV in N.C. to see about that. Usually a state allows you 30 days to get all of your vehicle stuff done before you can be issued a ticket. You might check with the local DMV office and make sure N.C. allows the 30 days. They may not allow that long. I am not up to date on N.C. policy but you may just have to turn over your old driver%26#039;s license and get a N.C. one and just take the vision test and not the driving test. I am not sure about that though. You will need to contact them and see how they do that.|||Since you are now a resident of North Carolina, you need to change your vehicle registration and driver%26#039;s license to North Carolina. Yes, you will have to get North Carolina plates for your car.|||You need to obtain a NC drivers license and register your car in NC within a certain amount of time. It may be 10 days, it may be 30 days. Check with the NC DMV for specifics.